Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Marathon DO's and DONT"S!

If you are running either the Pittsburgh full or half marathon on May 4th, I'll assume every one of you 30,000 runners are reading my blog and so we will have no issues...

This list below is a simple personal preference of rules of the road I have devised after having ran 4 marathons last year and several races as well. These are simple tips I have come up with so you know to abide by them come race day....enjoy! :)

DO's
1. Have fun
2. Drink plenty of fluids
2.5 Avoid fiber the day before - it is evil!
3. Wear protection (nipple band-aids)
4. Say 'thank you' to all the volunteers
5. Give the little kids 'high fives'
6. Run like hell at the final stretch to make it look like you've ran that way for the past 26 miles
7. Go to the bathroom 17 times before you get into your corral
8. Accept the inevitable. If something happens, re-evaluate and continue going.
9. Take nutrition. You probably aren't going to like the taste of GU.
10. Prepare for the weather. If it's going to be 45-60 degrees, forget the sleeves.
11. Remember: everyone is running their own race with their own difficulties and challenges
12. Say hi to a fellow runner. Don't recite the Declaration of Independence, but maybe ask when they are from, say good luck, then pass those suckers!
13. Wear that medal proudly - you earned it!
14. Thank God you ran a successful race and had no major injuries.

DO NOT
1. Scream only 26 miles to go at the .2 marker. actually never ever ever say only X miles to go. Everyone is at different struggles of the race. Mine could start at mile 20, yours could start at mile 24.
2. Stop at the water stations, either run through and get 1 ounce of water down like I do or slow down a little, but do not stop. Remember there are many people behind you.
3. Walk in the middle of the road. If you are a speed walker or marathon walker realize there are many people potentially behind you that are runners and may need to pass. It's like driving on the parkway people, get out of the passing lane!
4. Keep calm and don't go out too fast! I heard this over and over last year, and I did it and messed up my time because I was tired at mile 16. Is your marathon pace 10:00? Start your first few miles at 11:00, no faster. We tend to run like crazy like we are race horses being released. You need that energy over 26 miles, not to be used in the first 5.
5. Poop or pee your pants. There are porta-pottys, use them. Men can pee wherever, just aim right and don't hit my leg if I'm next to you against a wall. We've all seen THIS or maybe not....sorry
6. Try anything new on race day. Example: OHHH I think I'll buy these new pretty pink socks at the expo and wear them tomorrow. ....[mile 17] JESUS, BLISTERS EVERYWHERE! - No new clothes, new shoes, new ideas, new hydration, new GUs, don't even change your toilet paper preference. Only use what has worked in the past for you.
7. Think you are invincible....invincible feels great at mile 11 as you conquer the bridge, then at mile 18 you feel like you were hit by a train, but you no where near the T. Respect the distance as I've heard from many. Realize that obstacles will come, hardships will happen, and the unknown may occur. Just reevaluate what you need to do it and do it!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL MARATHON RUNNERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment