Tuesday, January 8, 2013

And so it begins!!!


The BIG date: May 5th, 2013

Yup, its that time of year....17 weeks until the Pittsburgh Marathon! Thus, the training BEGINS! Luckily I was thinking about the race yesterday and looked up the 18-week schedule I found on Hal Higdon's site. So I have to turn the 18-week schedule into a 17-week one with a few modifications.  I'm really glad I ran that 8.5 miles on Saturday to get myself ready for some long Saturday runs.  You can find the schedule I am going by on the link to Hal's site above.  It's quite basic, small runs during the week, rest, big run on Saturdays...and Saturdays keep getting longer and longer and longgggeeerrr until 1 week before the race when they taper off to reserve energy and let the body recoup. In addition to running most night I will also be heading to the gym for strength training as well.

  

As well, I will be using my new Xbox Nike+ Training for Kinect game, which I tried out last night for first time and it was awesome.  I highly recommend it if you are looking for a great fitness tool to use at home.  It does an initial assessment and they will let you know if your form is off or not.  I can't wait to use it more in the future! 

Kinnect_p2_benefit03_graphic.jpg

Today's entry will be a little short, but once I start these runs and get the longer distances in in a few months I will know what pace is tolerable for me for 26.2 miles, but I'm hoping for 12 min/mile but I think I may be able to do faster. 12 min/mile would be my around a total race time of 05:15:00, and maximum for marathon is 06:00:00, if I do an 11 min/mile that's gives me about total race time of 04:50:00 which under 5 hours would be PHENOMENAL! Running starts tonight! Below is a pic from after I finished last years half-marathon.  I had lost about 25-30 pounds before it, to think I am looking to loose about a total of 100 before the marathon in May is crazzzy.

No comments:

Post a Comment