So I've been on this new lifestyle journey since January 2012 and like most people, when you start losing weigh, you only focus on once thing for feedback, the scale! (and the number).
I will admit to being addicted to seeing that number it either made or break me sometimes. That number can boost your confidence through the roof or it can send you into a downward spiral of eating a bad of cheesy poofs. In the beginning of my weight loss, I lost 10 lbs each month solid. I was so happy and was like wow, I will be done in less than 10 months! Not so fast kid! I then ran a half marathon on May 6th last year and got in the "I'm good" mindset and so April/May of 2012 were not progress months, but I still ate healthy. Nevertheless it's interesting to see just how much I've changed. It was just 2 months ago that I was fretting, weighing myself almost several times a week. So lent came around and I don't have any guilty pleasures to give up, so from Feb 13th-March 30th for Lent I gave up weighing in. It was rough the first few weeks, I was very antsy. But then, it wasn't even a worry anymore, I wasn't concerned about that number anymore. To back fill a little, I have been consistency losing about 5lbs/month since last fall I think. So this was an experiment Maybe not being so worrisome about the number would help me lose more! Easter morning I weighed in and had lost 8 lbs over lent (40 days). I was really happy, especially because I was now in the 180's. So the experiment continues, I am only weighing in monthly, the first saturated of every month now. It puts less emphasis on the number, and more emphasis on me focusing on eating right and exercising daily.
Best practices: weigh in first thing in the morning, after you have went to the bathroom, before you eat, before you workout. Use the same scale! Test your scale with a dumbbell or heavy object that you know the weight of...like a 5lb bag of sugar! So if your scale is right, you weigh on it weekly and then go to the doctors and it's 10 pound difference, ignore that Doctor scale!
No comments:
Post a Comment