Thursday, February 6, 2014

Greek Black Bean Burgers Recipe

Trying to add more variety into my diet, and I love to cook and experiment with trying new things. So I found this recipe on a blog and decided to give it a go. Mind you, I have never eaten any kinds of beans in my life. No black, navy, pork, white, etc, etc....the consistency and mushiness of them always put me off.

Recipe review: These were awesome! The only changes I did was not use the Greek seasoning, and instead used my typical spices (black pepper, parsley, etc). I made mine into 8 big patties. I had some trouble flipping them because they don't bind real easily. but when they are done, they firm up. I did 10 min, flipped, then 8 minutes on other side. Next time I'll cook them a little longer on first side until they brown more. They are a little high in carbs from the beans, quinoa and bread crumbs, but you save a lot of fat say then eating a regular ham burger or even a turkey burger!

I also added some reduced fat shredded cheese to mine!

Recipe originated from this great blog:  http://www.theleangreenbean.com/

Be sure to check out her blog for lots of interesting healthy recipes.


Ingredients
  • 1 small red pepper, roasted, peeled & diced
  • 2¾ cups black beans, divided
  • 1¼ c cooked quinoa, cooled
  • ¼ c hummus
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • ½ c feta, crumbled
  • ½ c onion, diced
  • ½ c breadcrumbs
  • ½ – 1 tsp greek seasoning
Instructions
  1. Put 2 cups of black beans in a medium bowl and smash well.
  2. Add the quinoa, hummus, garlic, greek seasoning and onions and mix until well combined.
  3. Add the red pepper, feta, remaining beans and breadcrumbs. Mix until breadcrumbs are well combined.
  4. Mix and form into patties. Squeeze firmly to help make sure they stick together well.
  5. Bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes, flipping once.



No comments:

Post a Comment